Giving (near-) humans an extra talent to balance the features aliens get is pretty good idea. I assume that humans and aliens would still get the two talents from their concepts and group concepts?
On the subject of Gear Bonus vs. Skill Bonus, I don't think that it really matters which way you write the bonuses gained from physical features and such. I personally prefer the "+X to skill Y when Z" format as the book uses it.
Also, I really like that drawback page of yours!
Here is my (work in progress) take on droids and other mechanical beings:
- You don't need to eat, drink, breathe or sleep (although you might require recharging every now and then).
- You are immune to poisons, gasses and other such things that only affect organic beings.
- You don't heal structural (hit points), system (mind points) and critical damage naturally and Medicurgy doesn't work on you.
- You can be repaired with a successful Technology (hit points and critical damage) or Data Djinn (mind points) Test. Each success restores one point to the corresponding pool. Repairing structural or critical damage requires suitable tools and spare parts.
- Your consciousness is contained inside a cognitive module that can be retrieved and transferred to another droid chassis as long as the module is intact.
- Your physical qualities depend on your chassis. Most chassis are Ordinary technology, but there are more advanced chassis that require Advanced tools and spare parts to repair.
- You can't use Mystic Powers.
- You can't wear armour. (OPTIONAL)
Different droid chassis and cognitive modules could be handled like different ship types:
- Class. It could be hard/impossible to install a class X cognitive module into a class Y chassis.
- Default attributes: Chassis determines droid's Strength, Agility, armour, and movement speed while cognitive module determines droid's Wits and Empathy.
- Default upgrades/features.
- Number of extra upgrades allowed.
Different droid types could be handled like concepts:
- Different sub-concepts showing what the droid was programmed to do.
- Choice of talent that fits the droid type.
- Choice of class X cognitive module.
- Choice of class X chassis.
- Equipment choices that contain some chassis and/or cognitive module upgrades.